Saturday, February 2, 2008

The land of Spam lovers

I had heard a little bit about spam being popular here in Korea, but I didn't really realize to what extent until I saw these:

Yes, those are spam gift sets. They are everywhere. You can also go to the spam aisle (yes, one whole aisle dedicated to spam) to get individual cans, so you can make your own spam basket.

Koreans also like to put spam in random things, like the sandwich that I picked up at the market (I thought it was a ham sandwich, but I was sadly mistaken). This is what I discovered when I unwrapped it:

I'm not exactly sure about all the ingredients, but there was definitely pineapple, spam, fake crab, pickles, and cheese. I've also seen spam in kim bap, which is basically Korean sushi.

Oh and at the supermarket next to my place, instead of playing music over the speakers, they play farm animal noises. So, I'll be shopping and I hear pigs and chickens. It's really strange.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love the spam gift sets!!! now i know what to bring back for vickie when i visit!!

Unknown said...

you soo funny maria!

Anonymous said...

it's the greek genes manifesting themselves.

Arleen said...

I think Cathy and Greg would love a gift set.