Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Kindergarten students

These are my kindergarten students that I teach every morning. They are seven years old Korean age (6 or sometimes 5 in US). When you are born in Korea, you are already a year old and you age another year when the New Year passes. So if you are born a month before the new year, you will become two years old right away. That's why some students who are 7 here, would really be 5 in the states. 



Susie
    Colin
  
                                            Patricia
         
Jeanie
   
Greg
                                                              
They are really bright little kids and pretty well behaved. They can be silly and hyper sometimes, but they're kids so it's expected. They are graduating at the end of February, so I will get a new kindergarten class for March. 

In the afternoon, I have elementary school students. Some of these kids have crazy schedules. One girl goes to piano before school, math and science academy after school, comes to english classes at our school, and then goes home and has to do homework. Some of them don't even go to sleep till midnight and have to wake up early for before school activities. They also go to school two Saturdays out of the month. So they have two 6 day school weeks a month. I was waiting for a bus one night at 11 and I saw a school bus that was still dropping off kids at home. All the kids looked so exhausted and were half asleep. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

aww jeanie is soo cute.. bring her home with you

Anonymous said...

Hi, how are you doing in the land of spam lovers? Nice photos.

Nikki Thomas said...

Thanks! I'm doing great. There seems to be endless things for me to do/see. I'm especially looking forward to Spring time for the cherry blossom trees, warmer weather, and cool festivals! If you any suggestions on must see places or hidden gems, let me know!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I heard about the 610-year-old Namdaemun gate in Seoul being burned down. That's HORRIBLE, not even the Japanese burned it down!