Sunday, September 21, 2008

Old People Love Me

There were a bunch of bands playing on the sidewalk surrounding Yoyogi Park. While I was watching one of the bands and taking photos, this old guy, who was really into one of the bands, told me to take a picture of him. Then he took out a newspaper and told me the weather for about 15 different cities. When he was done with that, he counted to ten in about 10  languages. When he found out I have been living in Seoul, he told me all the Korean words he knew. It was pretty funny. He was a cool old guy just hanging out at the park on a beautiful Sunday, enjoying good music. I can dig that. 

Usually, I get on the plane and I'm not in the mood to socialize, so I put on my headphones right away in case I get stuck next to a chatter. On my way back to Seoul, I got to my seat and there was an old woman in the seat next to mine. She was definitely a chatter, but it was cool. She ended up being a lovely woman. She is a 78 year old British woman, who currently lives near Seattle. She was heading to Seoul to visit her son and his wife. She talked to me for the entire flight about her travels, her family, her Mormon neighbors... I could probably write her autobiography. After we landed, I walked her through customs and helped her fill out her forms. Before we parted ways, she wrote down all her information and told me to come to Seattle to visit her and we could go hiking. She's one of those people you meet and don't forget. 

No comments: