Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Dr. Fish Experience

Maria, Kelly, and Julie heard about "doctor fish" before coming to Seoul, so they wanted to try it out. Also, Jenn has been to a Dr.Fish cafe here and said it was worth experiencing. Basically, you stick your feet in a pool with "doctor fish" and they nibble off the dead skin from your feet. This method has been used to treat psoriasis, but is now becoming a popular "pedicure."  I put that in quotations because it's not what I think of when I hear the word pedicure, but that's how it's advertised. Anyway, we decided to be adventurous and we found a place in Insadong that offers it. The place looked like an ordinary cafe downstairs, but upstairs it had a row of sinks for washing your feet, and a small tub filled with fish. Maria and I went first.  The first couple of times I put my feet in, I only lasted a couple of seconds. It felt too creepy and gross. On some parts of my feet, it felt like a little pinches and other parts it just tickled a little. After awhile, I got used to it. 

Sinks to wash your feet, in preparation for the pedicure (although if you ask Julie, I think she would replace pedicure with torture) 


The fish loved my feet, a little too much. It was creeping me out. 
There was a lot less love for Maria's feet. Even when I took mine out, so they would go to her's, some of them would still stay by my side, waiting with their mouths open for me to put my feet back in. 

Maria enjoying her tea during Kelly and Julie's turn. Benny is in the background playing dead. 

The fish also really loved Kelly's feet. Maria suggested a foot-off, which would've been really interesting but one doctor fish experience is enough for me. 

Dr. Fish verdict: I think to notice a real difference in your feet, you'd have to spend a lot more than just 15 minutes in the tub. It was super cheap (2 bucks) and my feet felt a little softer, but I think a regular old pedicure gives better results. Regular pedicures are also more relaxing. I was feeling anxious the whole time my feet were in the tub. 

BTW, bonus points to anyone who can name the punk rock band that inspired my blog post title. Brings me back to 8th grade. 


No comments: