Saturday, August 2, 2008

Cafes, Art, and a Lonely Pink Bear

Despite what my last two blog posts may suggest, my little vacation this week wasn't just a giant nerd fest. I also spent most of it in my favorite neighborhood, where I went cafe hopping, people watched, took many photos, and ate some delicious snacks. Oh, and there was some studying involved too. The cafes were perfect for that. 

Behind that tree is a little take out window for Sunny Side Cafe where you can get coffee or pick up a yummy Liege waffle. I got one and it tasted just like the ones you get in Belgium. Don't confuse them with the Brussels waffles though- those aren't as good. Also, I think that is the first STOP sign I've seen in Korea. 

When I'm walking through Samchung, I pass a cafe every 5 seconds that I want to go in, but even I can't drink that much coffee. After passing up about 20 cafes, The Present's funky design was too intriguing to pass up. 

It was really cozy inside. It was furnished with antiques and even had some for sale.

The windows made for some good people watching. 

Eight bucks for Iced Tea is a little pricey (maybe not for that neighborhood though), but it's one of those places where you're paying more for the ambiance than the drink. 

Cute cafe. Apparently, waffles are in this season. Almost every cafe was advertising them.


All doors should be this colorful. I didn't go into this cafe, but it's on my list.

Tiny, yummy frozen yogurt place. 

My frozen yogurt had fruit loops and frosted flakes on the bottom. 

Wine bottles outside of a restaurant that was tucked away in a side street. I love stumbling upon things like this.

I love this. It's painted on a wall of a building. I like to get at least one piece of artwork from each city I visit. I haven't found a piece that I've been absolutely crazy about yet. Can I buy this wall?
 
This made me smile, although she looks a little lonely sitting there, by herself, with two glasses. 

2 comments:

ellim said...

it's strange how beauty seems more noticeable in other countries; or i suppose the reverse is true... it's hard to notice the allure in the things that surround us.

hope you're enjoying your stay in korea!

Nikki Thomas said...

i think part of it is that when people live somewhere for too long, they get caught up in their routines and don't stop to notice their surroundings. it seems like a lot of people are always in a rush to get someplace and are only focused on their destination. at that point, unless you're struck by something extraordinarily beautiful or monumental, you're probably missing out on all the random, little surprises that most places have to offer. i'm not just talking about those which are aesthetically pleasing, but observations that are funny, quizzical, heartwarming, or even depressing. i am definitely most conscious of these things when i have my camera with me.