Thursday, July 10, 2008

GPH and CMG invade the ROK

in ONE WEEK. I'm sure this news doesn't bring anyone even a tiny fraction of the happiness that it brings me, but I needed to share it before I burst with excitement.

Some reflections from today:
I am continually surprised at how kind shop owners are here. Lately, I've been going to the Family Mart to grab a bottle of water after the gym. Tonight, I went in, got my water, made some small talk with the owner, then went out to wait for the bus. About a minute later, the owner comes out, gives me a bottle of V12 vitamin water and just says, "Last night," with a big smile. I stood there dumbfounded for a moment and then realized that I had bought some V12 the night before and he remembered.

Also, the guy at the stationary/school supplies store, by my place, always gives me something extra when I go there, so does my fruit lady on the corner. In fact, she threw in some really delicious plums when I bought some nectarines from her yesterday. Speaking of the fruit lady, I am still shocked at the price difference between the fruit sold in the supermarket and the fruit sold on the street. The supermarket fruit is sometimes marked up 100%. For example, one watermelon at GS SuperMarket is about 17 bucks. Then you go outside, and someone's selling a watermelon for 9 bucks.

No comments: