Sunday, June 1, 2008

New Favorite Hood: Samchung-dong

Today was perfect, maybe even the best Sunday I've had here. The weather was beautiful, I discovered a new favorite place, and I saw Indiana Jones (I still want to know how the Russians got past the tribe without the skull).

The definite highlight of my day was the afternoon, which I spent shooting in Samchungdong. It's a great neighborhood just north of Insadong, next to Gyeongbuk Palace. The streets are littered with cute funky shops, colorful coffee shops and restaurants, jazz cafes, and art galleries. It definitely has it's own personality compared to a lot of other Seoul neighborhoods, which all look the same and lack character. There is also a lovely park which I plan to return to with a good novel or sketch book and quirky museums (Owl Museum, Museum of Chicken Art, and Eros Museum) that I plan on checking out. What I liked most was the diversity in the architectural styles of the buildings.

Here is a little photo tour:


Everything was colorful: the signs, gates, doors, windows.

And there were hidden treasures in the alleys.

And a charming peaceful pond in the park.
With lily pads.
 And fish too, but the water was too murky to capture them.



2 comments:

Colin Woon said...

Good shots! My favorite is 1st, 4th, 6th, 7th.

Anonymous said...

Really beautiful.. thank you!